11/22/2013

MANY TOUCHES of GOLD

Dark roiling clouds gathered over Tennessee and the newly turned “matte” brown football field; the game would start soon. Ah, if only the rain held off. The lowering sky held many layers and hues of somber, ominous colors. I embarrassed my family, but huddled anyway under a clean, white, plastic garbage bag found in the backseat of my car.

 The raindrops were small, fast, and hard; I was hoping they would pass over quickly. However, as far as I could see over my shoulder, the heavens were playing a dark “cover-all” game, and I was losing.

 Yes! The phrase “The things we do for family know no bounds!” kept flashing through my mind as I sat there on this cold November day in this cold November rain. The band and my majorette would soon start; I would rejoice, and enjoy the performance, feeling great pride! Knowing after the “half time” show my husband and I would hop in our warm, cozy car and head for Kentucky aided in my comfort.

 Then God sent a spectacular thing to capture my attention and get my thoughts away from “woe!” ~ I may be the only person in the whole stadium to have noticed; I was so awe-struck; I found myself speechless. I didn’t want to spoil the moment by calling attention to it, or trying to explain what just happened with words…

As I peeped from under the white plastic on my head I spotted, flying in from the south, an enormous flock of large, fat, drab birds. I thought, “They look so miserable and dreary.” They were non-reflective and black due to the murky evening. I watched as they carved their way in an arc aiming their flight towards the east and then swooped around to the left, and headed north flying over the mid-field.

 With nothing else to hold my attention, I continued to watch their flight-path. Suddenly, from the horizon behind the stadium, the hand of God made a sliver of a crack in the dense shroud of grayness and a late autumn shaft of sunlight broke through. It lasted only for seconds; it was not enough to warm or dry me, but it set on fire the birds above. As they were banking with left wings tilted upward and bellies exposed, their undersides turned into rippling liquid gold. They captured me as they shone and gleamed in the quick flash of sunshine, they were emblazoned on my eyes, and in my heart. Oh thank you Father for sharing this with me! The rare sight warmed me, and sent my mind on spiritual a path. It was the Lord’s pre-game show. Then, in the blink of an eye, they straightened their bodies and changing their course they turned back into the indiscernibleness and flew away.
 
 After a time I ask my husband, “Did you see those birds?”
 “The ones that just flew over?”
 “Yes, those. What were they?”
 “They were just Pigeons.”
 “Oh.”

 The gentle glow remained with me, and as I (more) gracefully endured discomfort, I thought of the wonders of my heavenly Father; His mercy, grace, and understanding for one of the least of His children. Did He remove me from my “uncomfortable” zone? No! Did He clear up the bad weather? No! Did He bless me “in the middle of it all” with something tangible? No! However, He most certainly did bless me “in the middle of it all” with an experience, one transporting me to His presence! He surprised; He delighted, and taught me (once again) to live beyond my circumstances.

 I have used such a small and insignificant (on my part) example… there was no desperate need, or life-and-death situation, just me being rather petulant. I think the Lord wasn’t enjoying my mood. But, because He loves me, He favored me with just the slight of His hand. And, knowing me so well; He personally touched an inner place, quickening me to Himself. He being actively aware of my small inconveniences, causes me to think about the depth of His concern, and His solving power over the large issues we, as His children, face in this earthly life. He is our true source, and the only answer to every want, at all levels and in each happenstance.

 The band was great, the twirler was beautiful and perfect; I was thrilled tho’ chilled! The game, sad to say, was of no consequence to us; we were there for the show, and it was over, and so were we.

 In a reflective state, I bid my family a loving good-bye, the weather no longer mattering; the countdown had already started until we could be together again.

 Our car seats are soft and dry. The radio turned med-low; a small battle ensued over elevator music and “old school” jazz; I won. While being lulled by the (sometimes hidden) melodies, I slowly drift into a semi-trance where the scenery passes by in a Technicolor blur; I don’t notice every single separate limb, branch or twig just the ambiance of the whole view from my window. There, just ahead flying low over the busy highway is a flock of dark gloomy birds. I hold my breath. I am aware; in this moment, everything is as it should be in my world. I slowly exhale praise, and a prayer.
 ~~
Ah, the lowly pigeon, once a sacrifice for sin; then came the Lamb, true atonement for men.

"But if he cannot afford a lamb, then he shall bring for his guilt offering to the Lord two turtledoves or two young pigeons, one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. (Leviticus 5:6-8 Amplified Bible) God sacrificed Jesus on the altar of the world to clear that world of sin. Having faith in him sets us in the clear. God decided on this course of action in full view of the public ~ to set the world in the clear with himself through the sacrifice of Jesus, finally taking care of the sins he had so patiently endured. This is not only clear, but it’s now ~ this is current history! God sets things right. He also makes it possible for us to live in his rightness." (Romans 3:25-26 Amplified Bible)
 AMEN

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note ♫ No spam please, promise?